Create a “profile” of your target audience including details such as
- Economic Status
- Martial Status
- Do they have children? At home?
- What are their interests and hobbies?
- Which social network(s) do they prefer?
Some people like to create an actual persona, like “Tom Ideal Customer” to visualize all the details.
Why should you do this? If you know your target audience as well as your best friend, you can laser focus your content directly to them. Think of it like this:
Blog A is written for
Men who have white collar jobs.
Blog B is written for
- 35 – 45 year old Men
- Income of more than $75,000 per year
- Live in the North Eastern United States
- CEO in the Health Industry
- Has 1-2 children in high school or college
- Plays golf. Interested in classic cars.
- Prefers LinkedIn
Which blog do you think would have laser focus on “Tom Ideal Customer” and his needs? Which blog would be more interesting to him and therefore, attract and keep his attention?
Before you get started writing your first piece of content, discover exactly who your ideal client is. If you’ve already started, stop now and do the discovery work to know who you are creating content for.